There are a lot of things I don’t know about this life. In fact, there are many more beauties left yet undiscovered than those that I have brought to light in my few 19 years, but I’m fairly confident that the lessons I’ve learned in the past year are ones that are essential in creating the life I’ve yearned to live but never knew how to actually live it. Have you ever been there? Maybe you’re even there right now. Well, I want you to know that the life you’ve imagined is not only possible, but also right at your fingertips. In an attempt to discover, live, and continue to create that life, I have learned a few things along the way.
- Never ever ever settle. This piece of encouragement cannot be stressed enough. This life is not meant for mediocrity. It’s worth it to pass up something good for the sake of waiting for something great. Even better yet, you’re worth it. Set your standards to a height that’s dream worthy and work to make them reality.
- Invest your passions. They are the stitches in your unique design that make you the most beautiful experience. Discover them. Embrace them. Let them fuel your deepest dreams and desires and let them carry you into unimagined purpose.
- Be generous. Never underestimate the power of giving and never overestimate the cost. You’d be surprised how little it takes to make someone’s day and how much it can make yours to do so. Take ownership in this world and give back to it in whatever way feels right for you. You’re enough to make it better.
- Leave your comfort zone as often as possible. For almost a year I was about 2,000 miles away from my closest comfort zone and in that same short year I grew and discovered more than I had in my entire life prior. Allowing yourself to live in this space demonstrates enormous strength and vulnerability. As a result, personal growth and self-discovery thrive and you’ll hunger for more opportunities to explore beyond your box of comfort. Take that risk. It’s worth it. You’re worth it.
- Surround yourself with people who embody admirable character. Invest in those who will better you in a way that helps you help others. It’s inevitable to pick up habits and manners of those you spend the most time with, so choose your friends wisely. You’ll find that this lends to more intimate relationships as opposed to impersonal acquaintances.
- Remember, this life is a journey. We will never be done learning, growing, discovering, or creating. There’s always something beautiful to be found and lived. Seek that something beautiful, whatever it may be, everyday.